Norway to be presented as a world leading ocean nation at Expo 2020 Dubai
Norway will participate at the world exposition Expo 2020 Dubai under the theme “Norway as a world leading ocean nation”.
Norway’s coastline is one of the longest in the world, and the marine areas are more than five times as large as the land. Thousands of Norwegians work within one of the ocean industries, being oil and gas, maritime or seafood sectors. In total, these industries account for nearly 70 per cent of Norwegian export earnings.
The Norwegian government is committed to the oceans, and Norway is playing a leading role in the global efforts to promote clean and healthy oceans.
Norway’s participation at Expo 2020 Dubai aims to further strengthen Norway’s position as a leading ocean nation, and to present sustainable technologies and solutions to an international audience.
- “Norway has large and important ocean industries, such as oil and gas, seafood and maritime sector. The government’s goal is for Norway to be a leading ocean nation. We therefore need to take an international leadership role on important ocean issues and be at the arenas where solutions to the world’s challenges are discussed. Expo 2020 will be such an arena”, says Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr. Torbjørn Røe Isaksen.
The Norway Pavilion
The Norwegian pavilion’s design and content will highlight Norway’s position within ocean issues.
The winner of the tender competition is a consortium between Rintala Eggertsson Architects, Expomobilia and Five Currents. The pavilion design and its content will effectively visualise the Norwegian theme and contribute to further strengthening the perception of the importance of a sustainable use and development of the ocean. In an interactive and playful way, Norway will present ocean industries, ocean research and solutions to meet the UN Sustainable Development Goal number 14.
The Norwegian pavilion will be central to Norway’s participation. Additionally, there will be thematic days and weeks highlighting and discussing important issues related to sustainable use and development of the ocean.
Collectively, all the Norwegian activities aim to provide a glimpse into what Norway can offer to preserve and sustainably use the ocean. It all starts below the sea bed, leading the visitor through all levels of the ocean up to the surface; – covering environmental and climate aspects, research and innovation, and presenting sustainability solutions provided by Norwegian ocean-related technology companies from all types of industries.
Ambition for Expo 2020 Dubai and our Ocean Industries
The ambition is to make the Norwegian pavilion entertaining and relevant to the theme, which in turn will open minds and stimulate interest for sustainable use and development of the ocean.
- Norway´s Expo 2020 Dubai ambition is to present what we already are doing, what we are planning to do and what we are dreaming of doing
- Our Expo presence will be a playground for the adventurous with basis in a cross-section between fiction and reality
- We will strive for higher grounds and search for new possibilities and walk the paths never walked before
- Opportunities within the ocean industries
- Sustainable solutions for the oceans
- Mobility in the maritime sector
The core exhibition will consist of 680 sqm interactive exhibition space that will meet visitors in a playful, educative and interesting way.