Ramadan tips to improve body’s immune system
Holy Month of Ramadan shortly begins and it’s very important to be prepared, Ms Archana Baju the Clinical Dietician at Burjeel Hospital Abu Dhabi say: “A healthy diet helps to maintain and improve overall health. Proper Nutrition and hydration is essential. People who follow a healthy balanced diet plan have stronger immune system and stay healthy during the fasting period”.
- Eat fresh foods everyday which includes fruits, vegetables, legumes, lentils, whole grains (wheat, Brown rice, Oats, Corn, Quinoa) , milk products and lean protein choices (egg, chicken, fish meat)
- Avoid all processed foods, packed foods loaded with salt and sugar
- Balanced Diet can help for a better immune system. Include lot of fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin B, C, E, A and D. Like Orange, Lemon, Kiwi, Strawberry, Mango, Guava, Broccoli, Green leafy Vegetables, Mushrooms, Peppers, Tomatoes, Pumpkin, Carrot, Sweet Potato, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Nuts, Seeds fortified cereals and etc
- Replace fried foods and sugary desserts with healthy alternatives. Adapt healthy cooking methods like steam, poach, Bake, sauté, Stir-fry etc
- Use minimal salt for cooking and instead add herbs, spices, lemon, garlic and other seasonings
- Trim off the visible fat from the meat, skinless chicken is best opted. Include good protein choices for Iftaar and Suhoor. Protein rich foods fill the appetite.
- Don’t overcook the veggies- as they tend to lose the nutrients, color and flavor
- Drink lots of water. Apart choose low fat dairy (Milk, Laban, Yogurt, fresh juices (no added sugars), coconut water, herbal teas and soups for hydration
- Snack on fresh fruits, veggie salads, Nuts
- Stay active – whatever and whenever possible at home. Small walks, climbing stairs, Stretches or any fitness activities
Self-Control and Self Discipline is mandatory.
Ms ArchanaBaju Profile: